Friday, September 28, 2012

BUZZING WITH THE BEE





Nick gracefully taking time "off" retirement to help us with the plum trees


When I lived here (near Stellenbosch) the previous time, I knew very little about bees or plums or pollination. The farm manager at the time, Nick Gurrah, told me that we will have to get some bees in (bee keepers leave you some hives to pollinate your plums, in this case). He also told me that we have one hive, but it is unfortunately empty.

Before we could actually arrange for some bees, a swarm of bees showed up and tried to occupy the patio area just outside the front door. This was a dilemma in the sense that we really wanted the bees to stay, but not on the patio!

This was a potentially dangerous situation for us and them. I decided to have a chat with them. The way I understand it, bees have a “collective” mind, they act and behave as one. I calmly sat down amongst the swarming bees on the patio and explained to them that this is not going to work, it was a fairly long conversation and I clearly explained why it is not going to work, I also explained that they will probably be the ones at the short end of the stick, so to speak.


Busy little bees at their hive

I also told them about the empty hive just waiting to be occupied, I even gave directions. I know most people now think I am completely insane….

I forgot about the whole “conversation”, but the bees did move away and I was a bit sad about this, until a few days later when Nick came to tell me that bees actually moved into the empty hive. Now there is no proof for this, but I would like to think it was occupied by the same bees I spoke to. I was so excited and I am now even more excited, because the hive is still occupied, apparently by the same swarm, obviously not by the same bees, I mean bees do not live for five years, but hives can be quite old. I am so happy that they are still here and buzzing away and enjoying the plum blossoms, which are now in full bloom again. 


Blossoms everywhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment